Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

The Bourne Identity

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 05 Sep, 2004 00:36

It's not a recent movie as it has been released in 2002 but I've seen it yesterday in theater in a special night. I'm talking about The Bourne Identity.

The Bourne Identity is the first book of Robert Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy (The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy & The Bourne Ultimatum).

This book had already been adapted on television in 1988 with Richard Chamberlain playing Jason Bourne, chasing international terrorist Carlos.

This time the story has been actualised and Jason Bourne is played by Matt Damon who had surprised his audience in 2002 with this action character while he used to play other roles a lot less physical.

The movie starts with the rescuing of a floating corpse in Mediterranean Sea, near Marseille, by fishermen. The corpse is still alive and the "doctor" on the boat who knows how to use a scalpel, manages to extract two bullets from his back. He also finds in his hip a miniature laser device which displays the number of a bank account in Zurich.

When the rescued awakes, he suffers from amnesia and his only clues about his identity are his astonishing knowledge of many foreign languages, his differents skills for navy knots, reading maps, ... and the number of the bank account.

On the other hand, the audience sees agents of the C.I.A. hunting a missing agent which is none other, of course, then Jason Bourne.

-I think you'd better not read the following if you have not seen the movie yet (you would have been warned)-

Indeed, in Zurich our hero discovers his identity thanks to a passport left in the bank. But with a gun, this passport and a large amount of money from different countries, Bourne will find also many other passports from differents countries, many identities with only one picture, his.

He discovers soon that he is chased and that he has incredible martial art and fighting skills.

Counting on his reflexes for clandestinity, his money and the help of a woman whose path he has crossed, Bourne is trying to escape his pursuers and discover who he was.

Little by little he gets closer to Mary and, as the cards appears, he is not sure to really want to know who he was as he might not like it...

If you haven't seen the movie and read regardless my warning, be sure you still have many things to discover ;)

Also Bourne will not discover everything about his former employees, far from that. The spectator knows a lot more but when the movie ends, many questions are still opened for him too like the reason of the headaches for example  :roll:

I like this movie a lot for his directing. Doug Liman has really done a nice work on this movie, especially for the rythm accelerations when Bourne discovers his combat reflexes at the begining.

These two scenes really catch the spectator, especially if you know nothing about the story like I did when I first see the movie. I was just like :eek: "hey ! hey ! hey ! what's going on ??? who IS this guy ??" :eek:

Of course, Matt Damon has a great responsibility in this success. He really makes the Bourne character believable.

There are a very few exceptions (like the women who I find sometimes really stupid), but this movie really tries to show realistic action and it's really well done.

Another character of this movie who hasn't been mentioned yet is Paris. This movie is indeed a real advertisment for the french capital. And, as I love a lot the city where I'm living currently I was happy to see it promoted in an Hollywood blockbuster  8)

I wonder if this movie has had an impact on foreigners' decision to spent their hollidays in Paris  :D

My mark for this movie will be a very well earned 4/6 and I've been very happy to see it on cinema yesterday as I had discovered it on dvd.

It's, I think, a must see (especially as it is the first part of the trilogy and the second movie is really good (topic to come very soon ;)))

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Sun 05 Sep, 2004 01:55

I just love this movie. Quite realistic, very entertaining, nice filming, neat acting. In short : it rocks.

5/6
Si tu bois sans avoir soif, faut pas t'etonner de pisser sans en avoir envie...

Blog Tumblr

snake
prince
prince

Postby snake » Sun 05 Sep, 2004 12:25

a very good movie, good surprise, very captivating

5/6

Albatross
earl
earl

Postby Albatross » Sun 05 Sep, 2004 22:42

Funny that you should post this topic now, I saw this movie again just a few days ago when i bought the Special Edition on dvd ;)

Superb film, looking forward to seeing the sequel :D

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 05 Sep, 2004 22:46

So when do you come and visit Paris Albie ? :D

As I've liked A LOT the sequel, I can't wait to read your impressions about it :)

Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Postby Black Widow » Mon 06 Sep, 2004 12:21

I've seen it only recently, because of the special night "the bourne identity/the bourne supremacy". and I've been very surprised. I was just expecting a simple action movie, like so many...and it was actually really good! :)
an excellent cast (Franka Potente of course, but mostly Matt Damon. I didn't like him before, but I've changed my mind), a good script, and a director who really tries different frames especially in the action scenes. and probably because it happens in Europe, it didn't look flashy and fictional like a Tom Cruise or a Steven Seagal movie (a good point to me).

I give it a 5/6 well deserved.

Mindtrust
elite
elite

Postby Mindtrust » Mon 06 Sep, 2004 14:29

i saw on a sneak preview in the theather in 2002 and it was superb.... i bought it on dvd later on when it came, anyways i voted 5 out of 6

xdeathknightx
earl
earl

Postby xdeathknightx » Mon 06 Sep, 2004 21:41

saw it and loved it!! No secret agents that keeps digging up gadgets just one man relying on his cunning, strength and luck! 5/6 from me. Saw this one with my dad and the sequel will follow soon

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Mon 10 Sep, 2007 19:52

I saw after 5 years  :D
An huge surprise, Matt Damon is a extremely good actor,
the story is a good introduction to the sequel
a must see
5/6

Return to “North America”