Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Batman Begins

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 03 Jul, 2005 13:57

Sorry to have let you down so long in here but here I am back with non the less than the Dark Knight from DC Comics: Batman in Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins.

After the myth's assassination try from Joel Schumacher and co. in two movies I won't name here for it always awakes terrible pain in my Batman's fan's heart, I was afraid that none would ever dare to reborn the Dark Knight in movie theater like the tandem Tim Burton/Mickael Keaton had done it with so much brio in two great movies: Batman and Batman Returns.

But here he is with the help of the director of Memento and one of today's best actors: Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale.

I was quite interrogative about how Christopher Nolan would treat the Dark Knight of Gotham City. Indeed if Memento had brought at its time something "new" and was indeed greatly written and directed, personnally I had found that Insomnia was an unexpected remedy to it Image.

Batman Begins, as its title suggests it, returns to the origin of the myth. It takes a long time before the Caped Crusader appears in his suit. We first follow the traces of Bruce Wayne whose life has been broken by the assassination of his parents in his childhood.

He will find two mentors in the persons of Ducard (Liam Neeson) and his master Ra's Al Ghul (Ken Watanabe) who will improve Bruce's skills for martial arts but also teach him how to control his emotions, fight his own fears and use the ones of his enemies to take advantage of them.

We then see the real birth of the Batman on a very "realistic" point of view. I've found Christopher Nolan's work was here very good as for the writing and the directing.

But ... there is a "but". When the action becomes hot, it's obvious that Christopher Nolan does not know how to direct action scenes. :eek:

If at first I thought the mess we saw was intentional, the first action scene being a melee, it appears as the movies goes on that it was not but simply a lach of know-how. It's really sad for a movie like a Batman one of course, especially when it is well written like this one with some scenes like the one when Ducard fights Bruce both changing the fighting styles at nearly each move. The problem is that because of how it is shooted you can only guess that because of the characters' annoucement as you are not able to follow one complete move above all the ones they annouce.  :?

If you are not caught by the story you won't be caught by the action for sure. But if you are, like I have, you won't pay too much attention to it. Being the first part of an annouced trilogy Batman Begins is the movie where all takes place.

We can think that the two next movies will contain a lot more action scenes in Batman's confrontation with the Joker (2nd) and then Two-Face (3rd). Christopher Nolan, if he directs them, will have to seriously improve his action scenes directing skills.

As suggested in my description of the "different fighting styles" scene where the actors prevent the scene to be a total vain exercice, the casting of Batman Begins is quite perfect.

When I had heard about it, I was very enthousiastic about Christian Bale's nomination for the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Now that I've seen the movie I can just confirm my good feeling about it. At last Mickael Keaton has found a real successor.

Christian Bale IS Bruce Wayne and he will be Batyman as soon as the designer will have, at last, managed to design a both "kick @ss look" and usable suit as, this time again, I've found the mask quite "strange". My visual must as for Batman on screen will stay the Batman of Batman: Dead End for now.

I like the idea of the armour instead of the shirt and panty hose but it seems the mask prevent the actor to really be the character. Maybe like for Spider-Man they should try with a CGI character ...

Anyway, Christian Bale is perfect for the role. So is Michael Caine for the role of Alfred (wow !!! Michael Caine !!!).  8)

I've also been very impressed by the performance of Cillian Murphy as Dr. Jonathan Crane. I've found him terribly credible as a mad shrink :D I've found that he has a facial expressions repertory which has not been explored as deeply as it could for now, all with a permanent touch of irish class ;)

Then great other names like Liam Neeson (Ducard), Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon), unequal Morgan Freeman (hopefully very good here in the role of Lucius Fox) or Rutger Hauer (wow !!! Rutger Hauer !!!), ... and so on, give the movie a very strong and credible base.

Only Ken Watanabe has been deeply under-employed in a Ra's Al Ghul carrying a surprise I would have prefered to avoid, Ra's Al Ghul being one of my favourite characters in the comics. He is here far to appear as powerfull and charismatic as he is in the comics.

I've been harshed from times to times in this critic but it is not a secret, for the readers here who know me, that I'm quite a huge fan of the Batman and I cannot then give this movie a 6/6.

But all in all I've spent a great moment, great enough to see the movie 2 times in 3 days :D, and I'm very very pleased to see the real Batman back on the screens while the former two "movies" will fall for good in oblivion I hope ;)

5/6 for me  :bounce:

Chevvie

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 04 Jul, 2005 07:48

I look forward to seeing this movie, but I am skeptical that anyone will ever be as perfect for the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne as Michael Keaton!! Of course, it can still be a good movie otherwise.

Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Postby Black Widow » Tue 05 Jul, 2005 16:22

perfect!!! (besides a couple of things... such as *SPOILER* Katie Holmes supposedly in love with Bruce for sooo long but when he came back after 7 years she was like "uh, Bruce, you're not dead. cool. bye." :roll:  smelled like there HAD to be a kiss in the movie *END SPOILER* oh yeah, and katie holmes: not a good point. please, can a surgeon fix her cheek????)

all you have to do is accept a different vision than Burton's. (and Schumacher's...but that's not hard  :D )

6/6
Nolan rocks. Bale uber rocks. seen it twice. will buy the dvd. can't wait to see a sequel with these two again.  :) (yep, too tired today to talk properly  :blush: )

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Sat 09 Jul, 2005 21:57

Batman begins is definitlty a good movie: we discover the batman past: it's very important to me to discover the past of one of my favourite comic's caracter !
5/6

-*da_sleeper*-
crusader
crusader

Postby -*da_sleeper*- » Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:53

5/6 definitly a top 5 movie for this year so far :)

Daishan
spadassin
spadassin

Postby Daishan » Fri 29 Jul, 2005 00:28

i personally thought best adaption of a comic to cinema to date.

better than spiderman
better than xmen
better than punisher

but i just watched sin city....
and rodrigues is so good, i just watched a comic book.

lazur
local
local

Postby lazur » Fri 19 Aug, 2005 14:54

I've seen it some weeks ago.
Really good but could have been much better.
At least, it's far better than the previous one, but i expected more from the director.
However, Christopher Nolan is THE BATMAN

4/6

Dark_Phoenix
peon
peon

Postby Dark_Phoenix » Mon 22 Aug, 2005 09:33

BB was a good flick , yet some annoying flaws prevent him from reaching the top. Nolan just can't film a fight correctly, the second part is way too obvious, the Batmobile sequence is pathetic, the catch-phrases "Didn't you get the memo?" work so bad here...

Cillian murphy made a pretty good job though, Bale is quite impressive in Batman (but too soft in Wayne), the last sequence introducing the joker and the "RACHEEEEEL" bit gave me the thrill.

Overall, it's not so bad, but could've been far better.

3,5/6
Too little much too late...

Juggalo Warrior
peon
peon

Postby Juggalo Warrior » Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:06

great flic.,... Bale is awsome as batman...movie was dark like it was supposed to be...batmobile was gay but oh well

will buy the dvd

6/6

Albatross
earl
earl

Postby Albatross » Fri 11 Nov, 2005 13:18

I loved Tim Burton's Batman films, but this was something else... The visual aspect was outstanding, and since I'm a fan of Christian Bale and Chris Nolan anyway, I was glad to see the story, acting and directing where as high as I'd hoped  :)

6/6

Return to “North America”