4/6
50%
3/6
No votes
2/6
No votes
1/6
No votes
0/6 (seriously?Did you get bit up by Tug and smashed your brain?)
No votes

Total votes: 4
Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Brick

Postby Black Widow » Thu 17 Aug, 2006 17:19

Brick is directed by Rian Johnson and stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Brendan), Nora Zehetner (Laura), Lukas Haas (the Pin), Emily de Ravin (Emily), Matt O'Leary (the Brain), Noah Fleiss (Tugger).

Here is the trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_fea ... k/trailer/

The official site (where you can find the script and a novella version with beautiful illustrations):
www.brickmovie.net

The plot:
Brendan gets a call from his ex-girlfriend Emily, who asks for his help. She says things he doesn't understand, so he begins to asks questions to make sure she's ok. When he later finds her body (no, it's not a spoiler, it's actually the first image of the movie), he decides to truely investigate who did this to her and why.
With the help of his friend Brain, he discovers the underworld of high-school.

As Rob Thomas on television(Veronica Mars), Rian Johnson mixes two genres that go very well together : polar and teen movie. If the story seems quite classic with all of the noir codes (there's even a beautiful jazzy music), it's still very well written with its witty dialogues and a perfect control on the role each pon has to play. The directing is probably what catches the most, for it is a pure exercise of style, and the entire movie itself is opened to various interpretations.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is, of course, close to perfection (in case I haven't said it enough: watch him in "Mysterious Skin"!!!). It's nice to see again Lukas Haas and I found myself surprised not to recognize at all the kid from "Frailty" playing the Brain. Emily de Ravin has a small part, which is too bad, because it leaves Nora Zehetner as the female leading role. And Nora is the only thing that I can reproach to the movie. If you know her from the series "Everwood", well, she's exactly the same: annoying wiening voice and eyes that look like 2 giant bowling balls ready to crash you. She's supposed to be "fatal" but the only word that comes to my mind when I see her is "scary". She doesn't ruin the movie anyway!

"Brick" didn't win the 1st prize at the Sundance Festival without a reason.
A good 5/6 from me. And I'm gonna watch it again very soon.

PS: one little funny detail (well, it makes ME laugh) : here, the movie is a "mars distribution". :D

EDIT: I found this very interesting forum about the movie. Check especially the Frequently Discussed Topics, there are some pretty smart theories and explanations (I'm getting quite confused on all the "Brain's Theories". But gosh I want to see Brick again with all of this in mind!). Rian Johnson himself replies.
http://www.rcjohnso.com/forum/index.php

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Wed 30 Aug, 2006 00:35

I saw it last sunday and really liked it, it is very brightly shot with very good actors (Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great)

there are many connections with the team that did Brick with the team that did May, and I wanted to see it partly for that reason. I loved the audio commentary on the DVD of May where the crew explains that the movie was done mainly thanks to the help of their families and their friends.

Here in Brick it seems it is the same, I saw loads of different Johnsons in the credits, seems that director Rian Johnson's family was more than involved in this (like Lucky McKee's family on May)

now the only common point of the two movies are that they are teen movies with an opening on another style : horror in May and "film noir" in Brick.

here the result looks quite abstract : the high school pupils behave and talk more or less as if they were in a dark gangster movies of the 40s with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart - and it leads to some absurdities (they are huuuuuuges holes in the plot, we never saw the police, and the private detective is a student that doesn t seem to be often in a classroom, well nobody in the movie is),

it works because it is done with a lot of humour and is brightly directed, but sometimes I had the feeling to see a amateur high school theater troop playing roles that were written for actors twice (or three times)  their age  - the kind of thing we ve all endured during our studies at some moment... Rian Johndon includes this in the script and in the gangsters headquraters people eat corn flakes and drink orange juice :D - with the risk of looking like a parody of a film noir)

It is a nice movie to watch, and I hope that Rian Johnson will be able to go on in his career and do the more achieved movie he seems able to do  - based on the success of this one - :bounce:

I ll give a 4/6

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Wed 30 Aug, 2006 00:41

got to read these Brain Theories too, it s nice to have an internet site with people from the movie active on it. worth many pointless DVD bonus :)

Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Postby Black Widow » Fri 08 Sep, 2006 15:44

Nau of Sands wrote:there are many connections with the team that did Brick with the team that did May, and I wanted to see it partly for that reason. I loved the audio commentary on the DVD of May where the crew explains that the movie was done mainly thanks to the help of their families and their friends.

Here in Brick it seems it is the same, I saw loads of different Johnsons in the credits, seems that director Rian Johnson's family was more than involved in this (like Lucky McKee's family on May)

The only one I noticed is his brother, who composed the amazing score. I 'll pay attention on the dvd for the others...

Btw, if you watch carefully, you can see a girl passing in front of Brendan (going from right to left) when he enters Laura's party... and she looks a lot like May.  8-)

Wulf
legend
legend

Postby Wulf » Sun 15 Apr, 2007 22:21

An intriguing little number that worked very well, in my opinion.  It was interesting to see noir performed by people so young, and having it overlaid onto the school backdrop.  It could so easily have gone wrong and degenerated into parody - or even farce - but it didn't. :)

I gave it 8/10 on IMDB, which is 5/6 here

Return to “North America”