0/6
No votes

Total votes: 13
Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Little Miss Sunshine

Postby Black Widow » Wed 06 Sep, 2006 17:29

Little Miss Sunshine is directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, starring Greg Kinnear (Richard), Toni Collette (Sheryl), Steve Carrell (Frank), Paul Dano (Dwayne), Alan Arkin (Grandpa) and Abigail Breslin (Olive).

the teaser : http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searc ... -high.html

the trailer : http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searc ... -high.html

Meet the Hoovers:
Dad Richard wrote a program for success in 9 steps, which he is trying to sell while mom Sheryl is overwhelmed by the rest of the family.
Her brother Frank is a college teacher, Proust scholar, who just tried to kill himself. Grandpa is a cocaine addict and the son Dwayne is a teenager, fan of Nietzsche, who decided not to speak until he joins the Air Force Academy.
And there is Olive, the younger one. When she gets the opportunity to contest in the beauty pageant "Little Miss Sunshine", the entire family goes to california in an old van.

2006 is definitely a good year when it comes to movies and Little Miss Sunshine is one of those you won't forget.
We've seen stories about a family crisis many times but this one is so well told that you can only love it. of course, with a cast like that, you can't go wrong. Nothing much to say about Kinnear, Collette and Arkin, they're always great. Carrell is the new hype actor since "the 40 year old virgin" and "the office", and he totally deserves it! he's as good in comedy as in tragedy. Paul Dano will probably become "the revelation" of the movie. His teenage pain sounds so truthful, it takes you back to your own high school years (I fell in love with his t-shirt "jesus was wrong"!  :D ). I think my favorite scene is when he breaks.  Abigail Breslin is also amazing as the opposite to her big brother, filled with enthusiasm. You just want to adopt that cutie!

This movie completely enlightened my day. I was crying and laughing at the same time. I have to go watch it over and over again...

Besides the description of the relationships between the family members, there is also a scary illustration of beauty pageants for kids. I have seen a documentary about those a few years back, so I wasn't very surprised. But I still got freaked. There should be a law against these pageants and the parents should be arrested to be doing that to their daughters (with the way they dress them, they could be considered as pimps. I'm serious. That is sick :? ).
anyway, the pageant is a big moment of the movie and Olive looks even more cute. a little girl who doesn't try to act like an adult is unfortunately becoming rare, and Olive is a bowl of fresh air. eat ice-cream, girl!

scary, uh?

How can you go out of the theater without a smile on your face?
I give this little jewel a good 6/6.

toto joke
legend
legend

Postby toto joke » Wed 06 Sep, 2006 23:49

That's right she was cute with her little "bidon"  :)

I liked this end of the movie with the musical final

But I was not involved neither touched by the movie. Great actors, but I found the writing - characters, story, message - predictable. I would say "convenu" in french. That story should have deserved much more complexity concerning what makes you change your relations with each member of your family.

Anyway it was a pleasure for me to see Captain Amazing and Muriel together for the first time.

A 3,5/6 for me

Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Postby Black Widow » Thu 07 Sep, 2006 12:05

:spoilers:

toto joke wrote:the writing - characters, story, message - predictable. I would say "convenu" in french. That story should have deserved much more complexity concerning what makes you change your relations with each member of your family.

I didn't see it that way at all. It's not about making changes or being unpredictable. To me, it's not a movie about people who have problems, have a crisis and then evolve from it. It's only about getting it out of your chest and that's it. And this is what I found very realistic, like in every family (not a "movie family") : you yell at each other, you make a big scene like it's gonna be a major thing, and then you calm down and go back have dinner with them.

In the end of the movie, nothing is fixed. They just go home. Frank didn't find a new love interest, Dwayne didn't find a new career goal, the parents are still broke and sweet Olive didn't have an epiphany about beauty pageants. They got it out of their chest and now they just go home.
I love that! And that's probably why my favorite scene is when Dwayne gets out of the van and screams like hell. It looks like it's the end of the world but eventually he just goes back to the van. And he doesn't need to receive a speech to do so.

That's what most people do, they just go back to normal. They're not very complicated or brave people and nothing really happens to them. They're like most of us and I found them very touching for that reason.

BTW, I have a question [STILL SPOILER] :
is it normal that someone finds out he's color blind so late? it seemed a little odd to me. don't you notice it in 15 years?

bride of chucky
squire
squire

Postby bride of chucky » Mon 18 Sep, 2006 18:30

Sorry for my poor english :blush:

It's a very cute movie where the characters are very funny and tenderizing!
It's a species of road movie near of the satire, which upsets the great values of the American society like the family, the couple, adolescence, to better denounce intolerance, the silly thing and individualism.
The film is finished on a formidable message of love and optimism.
A very good movie, surprising and refreshing . A delight.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sun 24 Sep, 2006 18:23

Black Widow wrote:BTW, I have a question [STILL SPOILER] :
is it normal that someone finds out he's color blind so late? it seemed a little odd to me. don't you notice it in 15 years?

Actually that didn't surprised me as I've discovered only at around 25 years old that I couldn't see perspective right... Actually I still don't know what I should see, I'm used to it ;)

Anyway that is not the subject. I've finally managed to see a movie on my "to see" list before it gets out of theaters and I'm glad I've seen that one which was just GREAT.

I agree with toto on the fact that there weren't many real surprises in this movie but I totally disagree that it put the quality of writing in balance. Cause there was also real surprises. I won't believe that someone would really have anticipated the girl's show at the contest :D

And when the events which were not "surprises". Indeed more than surprising the audience, they make us remember those memories we all have about crazy situations that happen in families.

Really I loved that movie and follow BW with her 6/6. Go see it !!

Yomghee
marquess
marquess

Postby Yomghee » Mon 16 Oct, 2006 23:38

Chevalier Bayard wrote:

they make us remember those memories we all have about crazy situations that happen in families.

O yes  :P I enjoy this movie a lot.   Go see it. 6/6

Arf i push the wrong button lol (5 instead of 6)  Well , may be i expect a better movie this year than this one but it would be difficult :p

elric
rider
rider

Postby elric » Mon 08 Jan, 2007 05:21

I just rented "Little Miss Sunshine" and I loved it, very entertaining and amusing.  I loved the scene with the cop pulling them over and the first time they had to push the VW bus.  The relative depth of character and way the story flowed right along really made this a wonderful movie to watch!

6/6 for me.

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Wed 24 Jan, 2007 20:01

I thought it was pretty good. The wife loved it though. She probably would have given it a 5 or a 6. I gave it a 4 because I liked it, but it is doubtful that I will ever watch it again. Once was enough.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Nau of Sands
marquess
marquess

Postby Nau of Sands » Sun 15 Apr, 2007 14:31

finally saw it ! a year after everyone else.

it s the kind of movies that are little marvels, because nothing really is extraordinary here, but everything works by miracle.

acting, dialogues, surprises, i loved it :bounce:

deserves a 5/6

Return to “North America”