Postby Rawhide » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 19:18

Eastern Promises (2007)
Image Image

Director: David Cronenberg
Writer: Steven Knight (screenplay)
Release Date: 21 September 2007 (USA) more view trailer
Genre: Crime / Drama / Mystery / Thriller
Tagline: Every sin leaves a mark.
Awards: Nominated for Oscar (best actor for Viggo Mortensen). Another 7 wins & 35 nominations more
Also Known As: Promesses de l'ombre (Canada: French title)
more
MPAA: Rated R for strong brutal and bloody violence, some graphic sexuality, language and nudity.
Parents Guide: View content advisory for parents
Runtime: 100 min / Canada: 96 min (Toronto International Film Festival)
Language: English / Russian / Turkish / Ukrainian
Color: Color
Sound Mix: Dolby Digital / DTS
Filming Locations: Broadway Market, Hackney, London, England, UK more
Company: Serendipity Point Films more

Cast:
Josef Altin ... Ekrem
Mina E. Mina ... Azim
Aleksandar Mikic ... Soyka (as AleksanderMikic)
Sarah-Jeanne Labrosse ... Tatiana
Lalita Ahmed ... Customer
Badi Uzzaman ... Chemist
Naomi Watts ... Anna
Doña Croll ... Nurse (as Dona Croll)
Raza Jaffrey ... Doctor Aziz
Sinéad Cusack ... Helen (as Sinead Cusack)
Jerzy Skolimowski ... Stepan
Tatiana Maslany ... Tatiana's Voice (voice)
Viggo Mortensen ... Nikolai
Vincent Cassel ... Kirill
Armin Mueller-Stahl ... Semyon
more

Viggo Mortensen is Nikolai, a tough lieutenant in the Russian mafia in London, England. He is the second in charge after his crew chief, the son (Kirill played by Vincent Cassel) of the local boss (Semyon played by Armin Mueller-Stahl). Kirill is drunken, emotionally unstable homosexual while Nikolai is everything Semyon wishes Kirill could be. Nikolai is tough, logical, obedient, and respectful of his superiors.

It's no surprise to anyone when Nikolai is made a full member of the mafia in a ceremony where he denounces any previous family he may have had and accepts the Russian mafia as his new family. What does come as a surprise is when Nikolai defies his bosses to help Anna (Naomi Watts) who is trying to find the family of an orphaned baby.

It is quite apparent that Nikolai falls for Anna right away. You start to wonder where his true alliance lies when he is ordered to kill Anna's ex-KGB uncle (Stepan, Jerzy Skolimowski). You see Nikolai follow Anna's uncle into his apartment and then he mysteriously disappears. Anna knows that Nikolai is responsible, but she has also fallen in love with him.

Anna is a midwife who delivers the baby of an underage Russian prostitute. The prostitute has no identification, and the baby seems to be headed for the government orphanage if Anna can not find the mother's family. Anna takes the only possession the girl had with her, her diary written in Russian. Her Russian uncle at first refuses to translate the diary for her, so she goes to a local Russian restaurant and asks the owner for help.

As it turns out, the owner of the restaurant is Semyon, the boss of the local Russian mafia and is named in the diary as the father of the prostitute's baby. The journal details Semyon's rape of her when she was 14. The journal and anyone that knows of its existence is now a threat to Semyon. Anna and her whole family become targets of the Russian mafia.

The movie is much better than I can describe it. Viggo's portrayal of a vicious criminal with a soft side is incredible ..... though I could have done without the full nudity he shows in this (yes, ladies, Aragorn's sword is in full display!!). There are some very graphic scenes of violence that can be a little unsettling.

One of the best movies of 2007!!

6/6 from me!!
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

JackSlater
champion
champion

Postby JackSlater » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 21:53

I really hesitate between the 5 or the 6

The same level as history of violence so 6/6

Rawhide
prince
prince
Xbox Live ID: OLAWRawhide

Postby Rawhide » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 23:00

When I first saw the commercial, I wondered if it was a sequal to A History of Violence. I definitely liked Eastern Promises better. With both movies, one of the things I really liked about it was the duality of Viggo's character and the female lead who both loves and loathes him at the same time.
Rawhide a.k.a. RAWofDOG

Return to “North America”