Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Mon 24 May, 2010 18:04

I must say I've not yet played the Final Fantasy XII due to many disappointed feedbacks I've heard or read. Anyway Final Fantasy is among the very best RPG series on gaming platforms and Final Fantasy XII is not to be missed ;)

For now Final Fantasy XII is announced on PS3 and PC but for months rumors are getting stronger and stronger about an Xbox 360 version as well. Being on Xbox, I do hope Square Enix and Microsoft will confirm that soon enough.

In the meantime, here are 4 screencaps released today on the web :)

Image Image Image Image

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Ehlyah » Mon 24 May, 2010 19:17

Oh man, I loved XII so much. I need to replay it sometime soon. Mostly, I appreciated the fact that the biggest part of the plot was, just this once, not about romance. I love a good political story (hence my love for Suikoden) and I was nuts about this. Most of the negative comments I've heard were about the battle system, but I liked that as well. I enjoyed that they finally stepped away from the little loading bars and tried something different (of course they went right back to the ATB bars for XIII).

As for XIII, I haven't played it yet due to not having my own consoles and it being a little too awkward having to mooch off my brother. But I'm also not very motivated about it. I bought XII a day before official release and my girlfriend promptly lost me for the rest of the night. Now... I'm getting such mixed reviews that I'm not in any kind of hurry. Maybe if I ever get my own 360 I'll pick it up secondhand.
What bothers me about it, though, are the Versus XIII and Agito XIII games. They aren't sequels or prequels, but set in the same universe, but Versus would (for now) only be on PS3 and Agito would be for PSP (which I also don't have, DS forever) but only released in Japan. We're taunted with extras, but they always cost too much, in my eyes.

As for XIV, we'll have to see. I don't usually pay attention this early on because it'll be forever until release and you can't really tell anything from screenshots other than "oooh, pretty".

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Mon 24 May, 2010 23:22

Ugh there are actually people who liked XII? :eek: XIII came very close to rising to the top of my best of the FF's, which is still headed and will to continue to be headed likely for some time by VII.

Turning my attention to XIV I played one week free of the last Online game XI and while it was enjoyable being one of the early mmo's before WoW set the standard for such things I never quite got past the horrid key bindings and annoying interface issues. However, being that I love FF's if all they actually do is make a cheap copy of WoW just with FF characters Id still test it out :D.

Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Tue 25 May, 2010 02:16

Complaints I've read about XIII is that it's very directive and unlike other FF you don't have much choice about you're doing next and get through the game pretty quick.

I think I'll get it anyway soon or later. I've actually missed several episodes since X-2 :blush: and for now episodes VII and IV stay at the top of my list ;)

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Postby Ehlyah » Tue 25 May, 2010 07:38

Ah, but you fit my findings exactly.
I've come to see that people who love FFVII and think it the best one tend to dislike XII and vice versa. Not that I dislike VII but I really don't understand why people think it the best. XD

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Tue 25 May, 2010 12:31

Well out of all the ones Ive played there are only three I dislike. VIII X-2 and XII. For very specific reasons.

My reasoning for VII being the best is very simple. There was not a single fault that I could find and when you consider im very particular when it comes to my gaming thats quite an achievement. Gameplay, Storyline, Character interaction, Length, Graphics (being that it was one of the first games released on the Ps1 the AMVs were spectacular) are very good. But probably most important of all for an RPG is the immersion factor. It really gets you involved and once you start playing you dont want to put it down.

That being said everyone is different and will like different games, Im not one of those people that tell others they are wrong for they think.

Ehlyah
wannabe
wannabe

Postby Ehlyah » Tue 25 May, 2010 12:43

My feelings about VII are somewhat conflicted. While I like most of the characters, I think the storyline does not deliver. I found it lacking in backstory (which has since been solved with the rest of the franchise, but that doesn't fix the original game) and it seems to be missing some of the mythology that colours the world of all the other games.

But yes, as you said, it's different for everyone. I never got that into VII while I was playing and I find it hard to get into it now (don't even get me started on VI). I think it also makes a difference that I played VIII as my first FF game and fell in love with that, a game with a tone very different to VII.
Then again, it took me a long time to really get to like XI (needs moar Kuja), so maybe VII still has a chance.

Return to “Gamers Unite!”