Chevalier Bayard
semi-god
semi-god
Steam ID: chevalierbayard
PSN ID: ChevalierBayard
Xbox Live ID: ChevalierBayard

Spider-Man 2

Postby Chevalier Bayard » Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:21

I've finally seen one of the most awaited movies of the year:  Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2.

At last Spidey is back and as the comics annouced it, he is amazing !

This second movie is better than the first one was. It is exactly like the second Batman movie regarding the first one (no, the 2 movies after have NEVER existed :P ;)).

As the bases of the comic universe have been given in the first movie, now the director invites us in a real adventure of the hero and his "human alter-ego".

Indeed, I hadn't had a stopwatch to check that but I have the feeling we see more Peter Parker in this movie than Spider-Man.

Peter Parker's life has become a lot more complicated with his secret identity. While Spider-Man is over-busy but still seen as a menace thanks to Jonah Jameson's editorials, Peter Parker has to deal with everydays student life problems like paying the rent, working on his lessons (especially Dr. Curt Connors's ones  :roll: ), dealing with his friends (Harry Osbourne is still obsessed by Spidey, he considers as the murderer of his father, and hardly understands why his "best friend" does not help him), ... and last but not least: girls ;)

Most of all, Peter Parker is still tortured by forbiding himself to claim his love for Mary-Jane Watson who is about to marry another man, tired of waiting for Peter.

Tobey Maguire confirms he was meant to be Peter Parker on screens. As I've read it in a critic, his lach of charism gives Peter Parker all his charism, makes the audience getting really emotionaly involved in this teenager's problems.

But if on one hand we have Peter Parker, on the other we have Spider-Man and this one has also a hudge problem to deal with with the arrival of the super-vilain: Doc Ock.

We see the great scientist, Dr. Otto Octavius, becoming the real eight legs menace of the city after an experiment which has turned wrong.

I'm not a fan of this vilain in the comics and seeing this movie I couldn't help to think again about Batman Returns as I had the feeling that Sam Raimi and the very charismatic Alfred Molina have done a work very similar to the one Tim Burton and Danny De Vito had done on the Penguin: taking a "not so charismatic" (IMHO) character from the comic and make him EXPLODE the screen.

I have "believed" in this Doc Ock and have not find him ridiculous but very credible and impressive. And the fights between Doc Ock and Spidey are A M A Z I N G !!! Image

It had been announced that the SFX in Spider-Man 2 would be in all the movie at the level of the first movie's final.

Well, it has been done indeed ! The scenes are spectaculars and I've been really impressed by the choregraphies of the fights. If like in the first movie you see some poses directly taken from the comics pictures, the fights are really very well animated and thought.

Sam Raimi has really managed to show us the best super-heroes fight we have ever seen till now but what makes the movie a piece of art is that the movie is not at all made around those fights. This is the key to a very well equilibrated movie where you never have the feeling you're watching a transition scene before the next action scene.

A 6/6 from me without hesitation and I'm going to see it again this afternoon ;)

Chevvie

Bradaviel
prince
prince

Postby Bradaviel » Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:47

This movies is absolutely amazing ( like the main character ) and really makes the first opus look pale.

The fighting sequences are deeply worked and inovative, so are the characters' dilemas.

A stunning thrill ride ride like you've only experienced a few ! ( none ? )

6/6
The Blog is Dead : mots du mort

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Sun 18 Jul, 2004 15:28

want to see it
especially since according to the quiz ive done i am most like spiderman ;)

DigiNico
ambassador
ambassador

Postby DigiNico » Mon 19 Jul, 2004 00:17

Yeah, it was an overall very nice movie, packed with spectacular action scenes, neat acting and lots of drama. Too bad that to make his point, Sam Raimi insists so much on several scenes (the reception at the planetarium, the lecturing of Aunt May about heroes, the sight of Peter droping his books on his way to class, M.J running happy and free in her glittering wedding dress, etc.) that he ruins them in some way. I hope that the general public (and mostly non-comic readers) will get the message because Raimi couldn't have tried any harder to explain the situation or the characters' feelings. As for me, I found sometimes that insistance of his quite annoying. :?

And oh, he repeats again the scene with the gentle-and-understanding-and-brave-new-yokers helping and protecting Spider-man against his foe. I didn't love the scene in the first movie but I didn't mind. But this time this is gross. Come on, we're in a super-hero comic-book, not in Care-Bear-land !

Anything else in the movie is just fine. But after seeing it twice, I can't forgive Sam Raimi for these heavy flaws. I didn't walk out of the theatre nearly half as enthusiastic as I did when I saw the first movie. That's why I give it only a 5/6 mark, even though I know it is a really good movie and probably one of the very best comic-book adaptations ever.
Si tu bois sans avoir soif, faut pas t'etonner de pisser sans en avoir envie...

Blog Tumblr

Bambiz
high guard
high guard

Postby Bambiz » Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:47

I went to see "Spiderman 2" thinking that it would be a very bad movie and i was wrong: It's very good !!

So I give a 5/6 because it's not a master piece at all.

(I'd like Mary Jane to die in the 3rd episode :D )
Vous êtes sourd ou quoi ? Je vous ai appelé deux fois !!

Black Widow
counselor
counselor

Postby Black Widow » Mon 19 Jul, 2004 13:02

Bambiz wrote:(I'd like Mary Jane to die in the 3rd episode :D )

:D me too!
Kirsten Dunst signed for 3 movies only. hope she'll be replaced by someone less annoying (like Laura Prepon?).
and Gwen will probably arrive...

I gave 5/6. nothing's perfect. (but it's not far)

Yomghee
marquess
marquess

Postby Yomghee » Tue 20 Jul, 2004 15:46

I'm not a fan of Marvel but i've decided to see that film because i was so desapointed with the first one. soo.... i made the effort. And this time, i was not desapointed :)

Even if i've waited too long for the fight with octopus.... This movie was strong in emotions and i've passed a very good moment. I really enjoy the not easy life of the Superhero especially when super powers don't work. I 've laugh during one minute at the lift scene. Great, i would love be the man who met Spiderman in the lift . :D

I put 5/6 and it's a very good mark from me for a Mavel movie ;)

Daishan
spadassin
spadassin

Postby Daishan » Wed 28 Jul, 2004 00:56

only 5/6 it was fanatstic I can firmly say that spiderman and xmen are my favourite comic addaption movies

Shadow Goughy
baron
baron

Postby Shadow Goughy » Sat 31 Jul, 2004 12:33

I have just watched Spiderman 2 and found it a great film, the action scenes where spectular.

I must say i like the life scene, just something about it. The comment about it riding up in the crotch area had me in stiches :P.

This movie deserves no less than a 6. if you haven't seen it i would advise you to watch it, it won't disappoint.

A.I
legend
legend
Steam ID: Mongoose182
Xbox Live ID: Jimmy FTW

Postby A.I » Sat 31 Jul, 2004 14:31

5 from me yes that LIFT scene (shad you spelling is bad :roll:) was funny but it was brought down by the crowd surf scene that was stupid

Return to “North America”